September/October Poetry Diary Entries

Dappled leaves fingering into a cloudless sky
I seek the truth in its branches
What do you want to know? They whisper
And I shrug, nestled in their arms

Fey mutterings haunt my ears
Ghostly white dresses sweeping the ground
Pale hands holding a rusted lantern
I hear the wail of the silent lady

Tapping fingers on my windows
The storm is laughing at the moon
I curl up in my watercolor blanket
And I listen to the water songs

I stand, bell like, in an ocean of black
Alone in a sea that sucks and pulls
And clings to those who don't know
So I drown, in something svelte and something mean

Let me try again from the top
Rewind the past and let me forget
What exactly you meant to me
Because otherwise I can't laugh

You touch down and land with a careless grace
Something quiet unique, something quite marvelous
I just can't put my finger on it, that part of you
But something deep inside really wants to

You are a many folded contradiction 
A terrible good, a magnificent dread
You're a sinful saint, too good to be bad
And yet you smile and scowl, and I fall and fall

Yellow on black and burgundy against asphalt
Crunching and whistling and scraping
Burnt wood and earthy soil and coffee beans
Mesh fabric and stiff leather and the metal of your buckle

She walks like water and laughs like winter
Everything about her shines like the brightest black
White of her teeth and white of her skin
Two pale roses on her plump round cheeks

They come in two and they intertwine like wreaths
We see them meld and fall apart, and I can't tell them apart
Sometimes they are one and sometimes they are two
Maybe in another world we could just be whole

She twirls in a gown of metal and silver
He watches as she dances a deadly spinning waltz
The steps of a dance he can never hope to master
But she smiles, and slowing her steps, she offers her hand

Let the spirits cackle and let the wraiths fly
For let tonight be a harvest of souls and hearts
Let the bones rattle and let the darkness be candlelight
For that infamous Halloween arrives tonight

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sfumato or the Mosaic

Pathos

attainment