leashed

twenty-one chains linking us from wrist to wrist
you were a sun, a star, impossible to resist
i trailed behind you in awe of your fetching splendor
never understanding who the chains were meant for

we walked on precipices and sky bridges made of laughter
we ran, we danced, we cavorted, feckless, there was no "after"
because we were short sighted creatures, we never considered the horizon
we thrived on the deepest wines, the freest songs, the sweetest poisons

one day, you ran ahead, and i tumbled behind
twenty one chains, bringing me down, immovable and unkind
your chariot blazed forth and i screamed for it to stop
but there was nothing but the unending wheels and the grinning mob

i ate dust, my eyes were blinded, i swallowed blood
tangled in a web made out of veins and mud
i lost my voice in the overwhelming silence of your disregard
leaving what was left of my body irrevocably scarred

it took me twenty one scars to break the twenty one chains
and even when i was myself again, i still feared the raw flames
that licked and kneaded at the soles of my feet, my hands, my eyes
it was easy to knot the chains, but irreversible to break your ties

i am still leashed to you, bound to the remnants of your soul
i wish i could forget the cavorting days of feckless laughter
but even as the scars throb and feather out from the base of my skull and outwards
i remind myself what you are, and how lucky i was to have even broken free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sfumato or the Mosaic

Pathos

attainment