Our Golden Statues

When you enter a room the lights seem to brighten
Casting your figure in an unforgettable silhouette
Magnet eyes and a determined demeanor, you carry on
I wish you would wander a little but your steps never waver

The world is a messy place, I know that better than anyone
But sometimes I let myself dream a little, wonder a little
Of what it would be like to share a piece of me with you
To share something more than mundane moments

I know that you are standing on a pedestal I created
You blink in the glare of my conjured spotlight
Something in me that whispers that you won't like it
And so I drown in my own whirlpool, and I drown alone

You walk on, all unknowingly of my own plight
I like to break hearts but these days all I break is my own
Why must I do this to myself, flogging my own back
Weeping over something too close and yet too far

I know more than anyone what it's like to be in the light
It's not me standing there, it's a gold replica
Some strange metal idol with all my beauty minus flaws
And I shudder to see it, for it looks alien to my wiser eyes

You know it's bad when the love songs finally make sense
All these saccharine feelings and that ache in your gut
Who knows, maybe we're nothing but spotlit individuals
Falling in love with golden statues

One day the fires will burn and the gilded edges will melt
And you'll see me for who I really am
Nothing but a trembling human staring up at lit statues
Holding to a metal dream that drips with foul gold as putrid as oil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sfumato or the Mosaic

Pathos

attainment